EMDR: Get Over The Past And Overcome Your Fears
Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR)
EMDR is powerful. It helps you heal and build the life that matters to you if:
- You have been knocked sideways by a traumatic event.
- You think “I’m a bad person”, you’re trapped by anxiety or depression, and you’re too scared to let other people too close. You don’t know why you feel this way or it feels like nothing helps – not even CBT.
- You’re generally fine but you can’t seem to perform at work or play in the way you believe you could.
Your brain is ‘stuck’
All of these experiences have something in common.
The way you think, feel and act today is influenced by how your brain processes information.
When you’ve been through something difficult, or you’re scared about what might happen in the future, your brain gets overwhelmed. Those memories and fears get ‘stuck’.
Sometimes you can see that your problems started after a particular traumatic incident. Other times, you might go digging in your past or imagination and find repeated smaller experiences of shame, fear, or loss. These experiences add up and influence the way you see the world.
When you get a cut on your body, it usually heals itself. But, if it’s got dirt in it and gets infected, you need to clean it out so that you can heal.
What is EMDR?
We offer both weekly EMDR appointments and also EMDR Intensives
Our therapists know from experience and research, EMDR can be profoundly life-changing and healing. It allows you to feel safe once again and find self-acceptance. You learn to form more meaningful relationships and to live a fun and fulfilling future.
If you would like to speak to an EMDR therapist, then please get in touch. Prices start at £95.00 per session.
How does EMDR work?
The first step is for you and your therapist to get to know each other properly so that you feel safe and supported. Together, you will make a plan and build up your coping skills to feel ready. The length of time this part takes varies depending on what you need, and we have an extensive toolkit of advanced ways to help.
When you are ready to begin processing, we keep you grounded in the present moment whilst also bringing elements of your memories/imagined future scenarios and applying “bilateral stimulation”. Bilateral stimulation means rapidly activating alternate sides of the brain, e.g. using side-to-side eye movements or tapping.
When you want to heal from your past, we focus on your memories. If you’re going to overcome fears for your future or improve your performance, we focus on your imagination.
The process moves information down your brain pathways, from where it got stuck to where all your other non-distressing memories and imaginations are stored – like how you remember brushing your teeth this morning. It turns it from an upsetting memory into one that feels like it’s in the past and no longer bothers you.
It also helps your mind connect the memory/fear to other bits of helpful information stored elsewhere in the brain so that you start to see things differently. For example, you might start to see that you are safe now.
This method might seem unusual when you first hear about it, but outstanding science shows how it supercharges brain processing. It’s a little like how you process things during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep and wake up feeling better.
You might feel strong emotions, but it is manageable. Most people find it profoundly cathartic and a very positive experience.
EMDR is not hypnosis. You also do not necessarily need to tell your therapist details about the events.
Can EMDR help me?
Our experience shows that EMDR is a powerful way of making sense of past experiences so that they become less distressing and overwhelming. This can free you up to look towards your future, to build a more full and enriching life going forwards.
The research and our experience show that EMDR can help you find relief from a wide range of issues and build the kind of future that excites you and feels profoundly meaningful. What does this mean to you?
- If you want to heal from trauma or PTSD (e.g. car accident, assault, bullying, or grief), EMDR can help you get back to your old self.
- If you’ve experienced difficult longer-term experiences such as critical parents, child abuse, domestic violence, or complex PTSD, EMDR can help you make sense of your story and feel empowered to give yourself a better future.
- If you struggle with anxiety, depression, OCD, panic attacks, phobias, low self-esteem, or relationship difficulties, EMDR can help you understand how your brain is getting stuck and give you the shift you need. If you generally feel ok but cannot perform at your best, EMDR can help remove any mental blocks and give you a turbo boost.
- If you generally feel ok but cannot perform at your best, EMDR can help remove any mental blocks and give you a turbo boost.
Openforwards have extensive expertise in delivering high-quality EMDR.
We can support you with complex issues, attachment-focused EMDR (working on difficulties stemming from not feeling fully loved or supported throughout your childhood), and pre-verbal memories (from experiences as a baby that you cannot explicitly remember).
You can have EMDR as either a short-term treatment or part of a more extended psychotherapy intervention, combined with our other therapies, including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Compassion-Focused Therapy (CFT).
Can you imagine doing months’ worth of therapy in just one day?
EMDR Intensives offer a faster, deeper, cost-effective approach to healing from difficult life experiences, overcoming your fears for the future, or performance enhancement. EMDR treatment is like giving your brain a deep clean, and an intensive gives you a concentrated dose.
Depending on complexity, you can leave feeling relieved, or you can make significant progress on your journey. You can then be free to focus on building your most fulfilling and meaningful life.
What are EMDR Intensives?
EMDR Intensives are one of the most exciting, cutting-edge developments in psychotherapy. They provide the space and support to clear out specific complaints from start to finish, or to work on deep healing of more complex issues.
Looking to enhance your performance? An EMDR Intensive will give you a rapid booster of performance enhancement, to remove any mental blocks and optimize your implementation.
Why choose an Intensive?
EMDR Intensives are a great option if:
- Your time is of the essence. You want relief sooner rather than later. You are a busy person who needs to resolve your difficulties quickly so that you can focus on your future, and weekly appointments are not workable.
- You are ready to process past experiences in a deep and profound way. Longer intensives provide you with the space and holding to move through a lot of deeply held material, which is especially helpful for working with difficult early life experiences and complex trauma including experiences prior to your explicit memory.
- You want a cost-effective option. Intensives can be less costly overall, because you save around 20 minutes of each hour spent checking-in and closing down every weekly session. You also stay in the groove of processing for longer and do not get disrupted by the life events that come up each week. Over a half day, this saves you an hour or even more.
- You’re interested in adjunct EMDR. You are already working well with another therapist in a weekly format but you notice some something feels ‘stuck’. We can work with your therapist to agree a focused piece of work to shift the blocks, so that you can get back to making progress with them.
Openforwards EMDR Intensives now available
We offer Intensives ranging from a half day to 3 full days, with the undivided attention of your therapist. In a programme tailored to your individual needs, we will combine skills training to build your inner resources with a deep dive into using EMDR to process past memories and fears about the future.
With other types of therapy it’s important to have a week or so between sessions to digest material and implement learning, but there isn’t always the same need for this with EMDR. It means you can keep going and complete a lot more work in one go.
What sort of problems can you treat with an EMDR Intensive?
A half day Intensive is great for focusing on a single event/scenario, or for performance enhancement. A 1-3 day Intensive is best for working through more material or deeper issues.
We offer a 3 day ‘Life Re-Set’ Intensive, for a comprehensive treatment going from your earliest experiences as a child all the way up to your present circumstances and beyond to your future.
An Intensive may clear out one area of your experience. Alternatively, you can undertake multiple Intensives to address different parts of your experience.
What’s the evidence EMDR Intensives work?
EMDR is a well-established, gold standard, evidence-based therapy for multiple issues including trauma, anxiety, and much more. The research for delivering EMDR intensively is continuing to grow and very exciting for all involved. Outcome studies show that EMDR delivered intensively can achieve the same (possibly better) results as weekly delivery – but faster.
Drop-out rates are lower than weekly EMDR, suggesting that the process is more manageable. It can also be cost-effective, saving on the total sessions necessary, and returning you to full functioning sooner.
Is an Intensive right for me?
Doing intensive work is a wonderful option if you’re in a stable position in your life, with good coping resources/support networks, and you’re really ready to do this for yourself.
It does require a commitment from you, in terms of your energy and greater cost upfront. While some people worry about how tiring it might be, we find it’s cathartic and easier than you might expect. We take lots of breaks and pace work depending on your needs.
Please book an Initial Consultation with a therapist to discuss whether an Intensive is right for you.
As we do not offer a residential treatment, our EMDR Intensives are generally not suitable if:
- Your personal circumstances are unsettled,
- You have few coping resources or support networks,
- You experience a lot of current dissociation.
We recommend working on those things with another of our therapists and returning to the idea of an Intensive at a later date.
If you need to process early attachment experiences or you are experiencing complex PTSD, then you should engage another therapist for weekly therapy before and after your EMDR Intensive, so that they can offer you more wrap-around care.
Half day Intensives are most suitable for processing a single event/scenario or performance enhancement, if you do not need much skills training prior to processing
You can book multiple full-day intensives. Prices start at £800 per day for a single full day. To add additional days, you will pay £500 per day.
Full day Intensives provide the space for more skills training and working through more material or deeper issues. We will first work on ensuring you are resourced as needed and aim to get through as much as possible within the time available. In a 3 day Life Reset Intensive we work all the way from your earliest experiences all the way to your present and beyond to your future.
Some clients will travel to Birmingham and stay over for the duration. We recommend that you treat the days around your Intensive like a personal retreat focused on healing. Turn your phone off and schedule activities that support you, such as exercise, massage, and good food.
Call now to book an appointment
Give us a call on tel. 0121 523 1108 or send us a confidential email.
We will get back to you to discuss whether an EMDR Intensive is right for you and which package would be most suitable. We look forward to hearing from you!
We have a choice of qualified skillful therapists. Find the person you’d like to work with below or let us know when you’re available.
You can meet in-person at our offices in central Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter. Or you can arrange an appointment for online therapy using a simple, friendly and secure video platform.